[AMPS] Series Parallel Electrolytics & Current

Rich Measures measures@vc.net
Tue, 29 Sep 98 15:31:46 -0800

>SNIP

>>Carl writes:
>>>Identical rated caps made in the USA by CDE are available from
>>Mouser.
>>>Part # 381LX471M450A052 ( Mouser # 5985-450V470) are $11.29 ea  Qty
>>>10-99.
>>>
>>The rating is 85=BAC.  The Panasonic capacitor is rated at 105=BAC.  =
>>The price on the CDE cap. is currently $10.21 at 10 - 99 units.
>.
>
>Wrong again Rich. The 381LX series is rated at 105C. I do wish you could
>get a few simple facts straight.
>You read info and pricing on the 380LX series.

€  I see that the rating is -40 to +105 degrees C.  Sorry.
>The CDE are rated at the same as Panasonic, they will FAX you a data
>sheet if you ask which BTW goes into a lot more technical detail than
>DigiKey.

Rumour has it that individual electrolytic cap manufactures specialize in certain values and trade caps around.  I noticed that the CDE and the Panasonic caps are the same size.

>I have used the 381LX in many conventional amp repairs and they run cool.
>I do not believe I would want to use them, Panasonic or others of a
>similar nature in a 10KV 3A supply. There I would use nothing less than
>the best Computer Grade or Oil Filled.

The substantial ripple current and temp. ratings suggests that the electolyics in question are of high quality.   One problem with the compact oiled filled caps that are currently being produced is that they may exhibit moderate heating with fairly typical ripple currents.  //  The weight and volume savings with electrolytics is not inconsiderable.  However, as with anything, you gotta do ur engineering homework.  //  The 8171 20 db (ssb)  amplifier I built was 19" by 19" by 27.5"h, including all supplies and blower.  The weight was 220 pounds/100kG.  .  Without the use of electrolytic caps, this would not have been possible.

-  later, Carl

Rich...