[AMPS] re:Socket for 3-500Z

Chris Pedder g3vbl@netcomuk.co.uk
Sat, 03 Apr 1999 09:15:32 +0000

>>Rich wrote:
>>
>>>€ In my opinion, due to use of heat-resistant spring material, the best
>>>sockets made for the 3-500Z were those used in the Trio-Kenwood TL-922.
>>>Replacements may still may be available from Kenwood parts. My best
>>>3-500Z cooling system award goes to Heath for the split-chassis design
>>>used in the SB-220.
>>
>>There is a number of people on this side of the pond who would disagree.
>>TL922s are prone to socket problems.
>
>€  Specifically?

Specifically, inadequate cooling, resulting in degradation of the clips,
producing I2R losses, leading to a vicious circle. As a consequence the
sockets need replacing and the tube pins need resoldering.

Transverse airflow is seldom sufficient adequately to cool the tube pins.
(I am not saying that it cannot be, merely that few, if any, have achieved it.)

Best wishes,

Chris G3VBL

Best wishes,

Chris