[AMPS] Resoldering 3-500Z Filament Pins ??

Gary Schwartz garyk9gs@solaria.sol.net
Mon, 5 Apr 1999 22:29:37 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 5 Apr 1999, Rich Measures wrote:

<<<  This is the first case I have heard of where a death was caused by the
stored charge on a filter capacitor.  Heart defibrilator machines
typically have an energy storage capacitor that would work quite nicely
<as the filter capacitor in an 8877's (FWB) HV power supply.  For an
<amateur radio operator who is having a heart attack, switching the
<amplifier off and discharging the HV filter cap. through his chest might
<very well save his life.

This is one of the worst examples of mis-information I have ever seen.
What makes this kind of comment so dangerous is that someone might
actually follow Rich's advice and kill someone.

Comparing a heart defib to a HV amateur amplifier supply is like comparing
a OSHA approved climbing harness to a hank of clothesline from Wal-Mart
for safe tower climbing.

Yes, heart Defibs do discharge a tremendous amount of energy in a effort
to re-start a heart.....trying to do the same with a HV PS will most
likely kill them AND you.

73,
Gary K9GS
 /   FP/K9GS, TO5M   |Society of Midwest Contesters |____________________