[AMPS] HV Safety

Radio WC6W wc6w@juno.com
Tue, 06 Apr 1999 10:58:02 EDT

Hi all,
   I just thought I'd share an idea from my own homebrew amplifier
experience along this line.

   In my own amp and separate power supply which is built in the bottom
of a rack cabinet  I have plastic covers over as many of the exposed HV
points as practical.   I do not have any cabinet interlocks since the
first thing you would naturally do is disable them if you were going to
do any work on the unit in operation.

  I do have neon indicators both on top of the HV supply and inside the
RF deck.  The one in the RF deck is located at / connected to the bottom
of the Plate RF choke and blinks for additional effect.  I used a 500M /
10 KV resistor (Victoreen) in conjunction with an NE-2 and a .1 uF
capacitor.  It is quite noticeable.

  I must credit some long forgotten manufacturer of Apple II accessory
boards for this idea.  They used an LED to indicate power present inside
the computer and warn against removing a board while powered since that
was likely to zap a couple of integrated circuits.

73,
   Marv   WC6W

*

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]