[AMPS] ? Omni VI and Alpha 87A in QSK ?

John Brosnahan broz@csn.net
Tue, 06 Apr 1999 23:37:54 -0600

I have been asked about using an Omni VI with an Alpha 87A.
Suppossedly, rumor has it there are some issues with this
combo when using QSK causing shortening the CW
characters.  It is my understanding that the relay line on
the Omni VI returns to receive before the RF output stops.

But this condition should be handled by the 87A OK
because the PIN diode TR switch ANDs the drive
RF signal with the relay signal to avoid just this type of
mis-timing.   In addition, the 87A has an alternative
method of operation which allows the CW keyer
to control the amp PIN T/R directly and then the AMP
tells the exciter when to TX.  And this should also
work with the Omni VI's timing problem.

I would like to hear about experiences from anyone
who uses an Omni VI with an Alpha 87A on QSK CW.
Your input may help a DX station!   THANKS

73  John  W0UN