[AMPS] Re: Electrical discharge through the heart (was Resoldering 3-500Z pins)

Rich Measures measures@vc.net
Wed, 7 Apr 1999 20:10:30 -0700

>John/Rich, et al:
>
>Maybe we can get one of the biomedical companies to form a joint
>venture with Alpha Power. Imagine the Alpha 87D (defib). In addition
>to performing the usual features such as grid trip, warm-up timing,
>and auto band switching - the 87D would monitor the patients heart
>vitals via EKG. In the event of cardiac arrest or arrhythmia, the 87D
>would automatically take the station off-line and deliver the
>appropriate defibrillation pulse to the operator's heart. The
>microprocessor would also simultaneously autodial 911 via modem
>and upload operator vitals via PCS to the enroute paramedics.

€  Not bad, not bad.  However, most of the defibs I have heard about use
more voltage than the 3CX800A7 can handle.  A 3cx1200Z7 should solve this
problem quite nicely.  With an 8349 amp., turning out some handy x-rays
should be a piece of cake, although the 20kV anode supply would have to
be divided by c. 4 for the defib unit.

>With the average age of the amateur population on the rise, this
>might be a potential growth market for Alpha and their lucky biomed
>partner.
>
>Mike, W4EF................
>
>P.S. If the defibrillation were unsuccessful, the 87D could autodial
>the FCC secure database with disposition instructions for the expired
>operators callsign, thus facilitating reintroduction of highly prized
>callsigns into the vanity pool.

E-mailing the county coroner would be pretty cool.  How about a new
column in QST named:  "Almost Silent Keys"  for ops whose autodefib amps
got their hearts going?  How about a "Defib Worked All States" award?.  A
Defib Rag Chewers' Club certificate could be awarded to anyone who
successfully completes a one hour QSO made possible by an autodefib amp.
.

-  Cheers, Mike.

Rich...