[AMPS] Parasitic suppressors/another question,

km1h@juno.com km1h@juno.com
Fri, 9 Apr 1999 20:51:59 -0400

On Fri, 9 Apr 99 14:26:31 -0500 Jon Ogden <jono@enteract.com> writes:

>>€  So it is the loss of contact tension that indirectly causes the
>>resistance of the suppressor resistors to substantially increase
>without
>>showing an outward sign of resistor overheating?
>
>How long will you hold to the view that the resistors where of proper
>resistance value before the oscillation took place when you have no
>proof?  You are making an assumption that the resistors were within
>spec before the arcing.  We have no way of knowing that unless you
>measured them just before the arc.

Good point Jon but dont expect a straight answer.

In the SB-220 case remember when the amp was designed. Long before the
1500W output rule.  When run BY THE MANUAL it will not overheat the
suppressors. When run at balls to the wall such as 1200W CW on the SSB
position things do overheat.
Does anyone ever stop to consider how many SB-220's were sold ( over 10K)
 and how few really had problems when run as designed?

Even pushed to the limit it is still a great amp requiring very little
effort or expense to upgrade.

>resistors fail.

GRIN

>It's a bad idea to make an assumption based on incomplete evidence.

IMO it is a case of incomplete and misinterpeted results, way far from
evidence that any serious engineer would take to his peers.

>Try it in a court of law and you'll be laughed at.
>
>73,
>
>Jon
>KE9NA

73  Carl  KM1H

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]