[AMPS] More on LK-550ZC

Dick Green Dick Green" <dick.green@valley.net
Sat, 10 Apr 1999 18:17:32 -0400

My friend who heard snap/crackle when he turned on his LK-550ZC that had sat
idle for 3 1/2 years reports that there are no spider webs or insects inside
the RF compartment and nothing there looks amiss. He hasn't popped the
bottom cover or transformer box yet, but will shortly. However, he did find
that the fuse had blown.

What approach would the experts take here? What should we look for and
measure prior to attempting to apply power? Any ideas what could have drawn
all that current? Assuming we find the cause and fix it, should we use a
Variac to bring the voltage up slowly when power is next applied?

73, Dick, WC1M