[AMPS] 87A Fault 17; cause & cure

Richard W. Ehrhorn w4eto@rainbow.rmii.com
Sun, 11 Apr 1999 23:18:41 -0600

Hi Dick & all...

Dick, I believe your timing explanation as to why you see Fault 17 (low
gain)rather than Fault 13 (overdrive) is precisely correct. I remember
discussing the exact same issue with the guy(s) who knew the 87A code best
- probably 7 or 8 years ago.

Your discussion of transceiver spikes is right on, as well. I've
encountered large initial rf output spikes on the IC-781, TS-940, -950SD &
-950SDX, and FT-1000D. ETO/ALPHA lab techs used to reset a TS-940's
internal ALC to get more output for various tests, and discovered that they
could put out brief initial spikes up to 400W!

With the TS-950SD & FT-1000D, the cause is usually, in my experience, a
cockpit problem resulting from (a) not reading and following the
transceiver manual OR (b) the manual's giving inadequate or no instructions
as to how to set the xcvr DRIVE control (the Yaesu label; I think the
equivalent front panel knob on the TS-950s is called something different,
but don't have one here to look at). In any case, it determines the amount
of xcvr INTERNAL ALC feedback required to deliver desired Pout from the
transceiver.

The xcvrs have ALC meter functions and it's easy to set DRIVE during actual
operation with the xcvr delivering the desired Pout. Just switch the meter
to ALC and, either key-down or while talking normally on SSB, adjust DRIVE
so ALC peaks are around the middle of the normal range marked on the meter
scale. This is probably in the area of 6 dB. If the transceiver drive
control is set too high relative to actual operating Pout, a big initial
spike does in fact get through to the output. This is because of the finite
time (on the order of a millisecond or two, typically) that it takes the
xcvr ALC to respond and bring Po down to the preset level.

We've found that many guys tend to crank up the exciter drive control by
the seat of their pants and then set its Po with the RF OUTPUT control -
never, or at least never again, checking the ALC. In a common situation,
e.g. running ~50W to drive an 87A to maximum legal output, using an xcvr
capable of 150-200W, most modern SS xcvrs will put out substantial spikes
if their peak ALC exceeds 6 dB or so.

The GOOD NEWS is that when transceiver ALC is set reasonably close to
normal by proper adjustment, the problem goes away. I used a TS-950SD for
~2 years with my 87A, then an FT-1000D for the past 6 years or so. Unless
the operating conditions (mainly exciter output power) are changed fairly
drastically, it's generally sufficient to check exciter ALC only when there
seems to be a problem. I do it maybe once a month just to be safe.

NOTE that every reference to ALC above refers to ALC within the transceiver
itself. Personally I never use external ALC feedback from the ALPHA to the
xcvr, and we do not recommend it in general. It's completely unnecessary.
Hope this is of interest, and maybe even helpful, to somebody. Sorry to be
so wordy - don't know how to explain this particular issue briefly!

73,    Dick  W0ID    (formerly W4ETO)

Following is the original message to which the above responds: