[AMPS] One more failure mode

John T. M. Lyles jtml@lanl.gov
Mon, 12 Apr 1999 12:38:30 -0600

I will add one more failure mode to the SB220 bandswitch which I haven't
seen mentioned. You all beat around the other observations, and they make
sense to me too. I picked up my 220 in 1993 at a hamfest locally for a
song, practically. It seems that it had an arc somewhere. When I rebuilt
it, and did modifications, I noted that the bandswitch had an arced
contact. When I looked closely I found that the long posts which hold that
switch together, and align the various wafers to exactly the same switching
points, were loose. At the 10 meter end, the thing was misaligned enough
that an output Pi contact was barely touching it's wiping fingers. And it
was burnt enough to be intermittent. When operated on 10, it would spit
sparks there, so I didn't try more than a few seconds. I cleaned the
contacts with a relay burnisher, those fine abrasive strips, and realigned
and tightened the standoffs. It fixed the problem, and no problem has been
noted there, subsequently. I subscribe to KM1Hs theory here, that cheap
bandswitches will bite you eventually. Although I don't know what Heath
engineers paid for that switch, I was not impressed with how easy it was to
misalign the wafer and twist the indexing around. I wonder if some of the
bandswitch problems can be this?

Cockpit error is certainly plausable, I haven't done it myself, but would
imagine that in haste, when a rare DXer pops up, and one is tuning the
beast, it could happen. Rotating the Bandswitch while hot would be hard on
that switch. As for the open contacts arcing due to a parasite, it is
plausable too; but these pure mechanical malfunctions are much more
probable, and easy to reproduce.

John
K5PRO