[AMPS] "the old days"

Vic Rosenthal rakefet@rakefet.com
Tue, 13 Apr 1999 17:51:41 -0700

Pete Smith wrote:

>  Makes ya wonder how
> we survived those days...

Many of us didn't.  I'm sort of an amateur historian and I love to read old
QST's from the 30's and 40's.  Every couple of months there was a note about
some guy going to the big pileup in the sky as a result of a sloppy attitude
toward HV.  I'm always amazed when I think about the standards of those days --
open racks with plug-in coils (series fed, of course), etc.  Maybe we've gone a
bit overboard these days with some of our concerns (HF RF exposure, for
example), but those guys took their lives in their hands whenever they changed
bands.

73,
Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA