[AMPS] Bandpass filters - where to put them?

Jon Ogden jono@enteract.com
Wed, 28 Apr 1999 21:38:49 -0500

>Funny, my replacement 6M filter (from ICE direct) has a label on it which
>clearly states 250 watts ICS. In my book ICS is not intermittent. As for
>playing a game with stating PEP limitations well..................

The 6M filter is rated at 250 W ICS.  I am still trying to figure out
what their duty cycle really is.

>I performed a two minute continous key-down test into a dummy load, and
>had no
>problems with the replacement unit at ~105 watts. Then a one minute test at
>the highest keyer speed setting sending dits. Although the filter case got a
>little warm, nothing smoked. The old filter  smoked  on the 2nd CW CQ call.

Good.  Sounds like you have a working unit.  One of my 2M filters does
work and work at 150 W.  I've not gotten it to smoke.  Perhaps they need
to specify a lower duty cycle.  One minute on and 30 seconds off is a 2/3
duty cycle.  Perhaps they need to specify it at a 50% duty cycle or less.

Oh well.....

73,

Jon
KE9NA

The Second Amendment is NOT about duck hunting!

Jon Ogden
KE9NA

http://www.qsl.net/ke9na