[AMPS] Re: Explain This one

Peter Chadwick Peter_Chadwick@mitel.com
Tue, 3 Aug 1999 09:12:16 +0100

Bill Vogler says:

> It happens that the capacitor that is burning is connected to two long
heavy gauge wires that run parallel to the turns
>of the 40-160 meter coil. I'm having trouble believing that it is inductive
coupling, and if it is indeed due to this why
>doesn't the shorting strip doing its job?

1000pF tunes to 29 MHz with about 30 nH. Sounds to me like there's enough
stray inductance off the leads to give
a resonance. I gather that there's just a capacitor in series with the wire
on ten, so it's a series resonant circuit, which
I wouldn't expect to have so much effect, but it's certainly of the right
order of magnitude to be the problem.

73

Peter G3RZP