R: [AMPS] L-Pi net...downside?

Rich Measures measures@vc.net
Thu, 5 Aug 1999 09:40:39 -0700

>Folks, please note that we have had serious e-mail screw ups here this week,
>and it is probable that e-mails to me have bounced, and that sent e-mails
>have disappeared without making it to the outside world. If I haven't
>answered anything, please try again.
>

>Rich asks;
>
>	>?  Would this sort of resonance be likely to register on a
>dipmeter?
>
>Definite maybe. It would depend on the network, and to which element you
>coupled the dip meter. Bear in mind that the dip meter does not find
>resonance, only the frequency of maximum absorption of the element to which
>it is coupled, which is not the necessarily the network 'resonant frequency'
>by the previously stated strict mathematical definition.

>>>Evidently - like to tell us your definition?
>>>
>>?  I don't have one.
>
>Logically, that statement falls apart. If you don't have a definition for Q,
>how do you know that there is more than one way to define Q?

€  The Eimac definition of R/XC1 is one.  The other definition of Q is a
lot more complicated and gives a different result.  I use Eimac Q.  I am
lazy.

>Q is defined as Energy stored/Energy lost. As reactive components by
>definition store energy and don't dissipate it, Reactance/resistance is the
>same thing as Q - or, if you like , Xs/Rs =Q or Rp/Xp =Q.
>
>>?  Do we agree that an L-network is never resonant?
>
>No.

€  When an L-network is resonant, it is a dead short, Peter.

> Further, you have not yet given a rigorous definition of resonance
>capable of  being modelled mathematically.

€  equal and opposite reactance - - which does not mysteriously disappear
whenever a dipmeter is brought near.

> Under those circumstances, you
>can't apply any formulae, or talk about any approximations. Any talk of GDOs
>is pure green fingered approximation work, unworthy of offer to a serious
>debate on the applicability and accuracy of published equations.

€  The advantage of the dipmeter is that it obviates prestidigitations.

-  cheers, Peter.

Rich...