R: [AMPS] L-Pi net...downside?

Rich Measures measures@vc.net
Thu, 5 Aug 1999 13:36:21 -0700

>Rich says:
>
>	>?  When an L-network is resonant, it is a dead short, Peter.
>
>Rubbish. Twaddle. WRONG!!! Do the mathematics of series parallel transforms.

€  If the reactance of the inductor is equal to the reactance of the
capacitor, the L-network presents a short to the generator.  What is the
impedance of a series-resonant circuit?

>> > The Eimac definition of R/XC1 is one.  The other definition of Q is a
>>> lot more complicated and gives a different result.  I use Eimac Q.  I am
lazy.

>That's an approximation that applies only to the complete network and falls
>over at low values of Q. It may be one you can get away with - it doesn't
>mean that it's right.

€ Are Ian's calculations acceptable to you?.

>	>> Further, you have not yet given a rigorous definition of
>resonance
>	>>capable of  being modelled mathematically.
>
>>  equal and opposite reactance - - which does not mysteriously
>>disappear whenever a dipmeter is brought near.
>
>Only applicable to very simple circuits, and the 'resonant' frequency that
>it gives is not the resonant frequency that we want - which is where the
>correct non reactive load is presented to the PA tube.

€  We have a simple Pi-network.  We will connect correct RL and Rout
resistances to the ends of the Pi-network.

>>?  The advantage of the dipmeter is that it obviates prestidigitations.
>
>Reinforces misconceptions about technical matters.

€  Mr. Rauch groused similarly about the intrinsic evils of dipmeters
when I discovered that a directly grounded grid had a slightly lower
resonant freq. than when it was instead grounded through a series
capacitance.

-  cheers, Peter

Rich...