[AMPS] Pi-Net math Help

Rich Measures measures@vc.net
Fri, 6 Aug 1999 01:17:01 -0700

>For the benefit of readers trying to learn something, read inserted
>snippets below :

>EIMAC defines nothing with those formulas.  The formulas are public
>domain.  They're parrotted in EIMAC's book,  just like they are in all the
>other handbooks.  EIMAC has not done anything original with Pi network
>design.  EIMAC is not the author of these formulae.
>

>> €  There are nevertheless two ways to define Q.
>> >

>WRONG.  There is one definition of Q.

€  Isn't there a loaded Q and an unloaded Q?

>There is more than one formula for
>calculating Q and it varies with the circuit under consideration.  The
>formula for Q printed in the "sacred" EIMAC book, for Pi networks, is
>incorrect.  It is also incorrect in any other book that uses the same set
>of formulae. (Note that it is the correct formula for the Q of the C1
>capacitor, but not for the network as a whole)

>Already stated,  "EIMAC's" formulae is incorrect.  Newcommers should
>ignore all future references to the so-called EIMAC formulae.  Refer
>instead to the ARRL handbook, 1995 and later editions only.  Earlier ARRL
>editions have the same flaw as EIMAC.  The same is true of all the ORR
>Radio Handbooks.

€  Agreed.  .  And how much improvement do the new, improved formulas
afford the user?  Ian calculated 5.57 uH.  I calculated 5.06uH using the
old, less than perfect formulas.  .

>> >I still can't believe I'm reading this!
>> >
>> €  You can read it on pages 35, 36, and 37 in *Care and Feeding of Power
>> Grid tubes.  Q is used in all three formulas.  Q is not calculated.  Q is
>> selected by the designer.
>> >

>Q is selected by the designer in the corrected formulae too...no
>difference.  However, Q is used to calculate the values of C1 AND C2 in
>the corrected formuale...not just C1 as in Rich's EIMAC book.

€  Agreed.

>Anyone with a copy of EIMAC's Care and Feeding...,  should remove pages
>35, 36 and 37,  and deposit them on Bandini Mountain (forget where I heard
>that one).

€  I can't unless I get Alzheimers.

-  -  However, the real issue here is not the less than perfect accuracy
in the old Eimac formulae.

-  cheers, Phil

Rich...