No subject

rb rbigg@pcola.gulf.net
Tue, 30 Nov 1999 22:05:33 -0600

Quick question for the gurus out there.  I have a Kenny TL-922 final that I
bought a year ago, and just got on the air.  I am having a problem with it.

When loaded and driven by the companion TS-430S, the final output indicators
are all just what the manual says they should be.  The Ip runs about 650 ma
in cw mode, Ig is about 200ma, and hi-voltage is up where the book says it
should be.  Get a reasonable dip and loading.  Ant tuner (already set) shows
almost no swr with cw signal flowing.  When I switch to SSB mode, the needle
peaks about 400ma on Ip, which the book says should happen.  When I speak
into the mike, everything looks about right.  The only problem I note is
that the antenna tuner output meter shows peaks to only 200 watts or so.
Way lower than I think I should be seeing.

On the air checks say my signal, using the final, is terrible.  Distortion
makes it unreadable, and reports on strength say it is less strong than with
the xcvr barefoot

When I switch the final to standby, and run barefoot through it, reports say
the rig sounds good.

Any guesses as to what may be wrong?  It could well be operator trouble.  I
think I'm closely following procedures in the manual, but have no developed
confidence level that I know what I'm doing, nor any experience base with
this final.

I may take the whole rig to the shop and get it checked out by a competent
tech, if necessary.  Just wanted to see if anyone has any ideas of how I
should change what I'm doing to get the final to work right.  It's no fun
hauling that stuff around.

73 de Ron, K5BDJ