[AMPS] filament life again

Richard W. Ehrhorn w4eto@rmi.net
Tue, 30 Nov 1999 21:36:55 -0700

Hello John...

ETO had some life data on the 8877s used in our MRI amplifiers by GE Medical, Philips Medical and others. It was presented as a curve as number of tube failures due to all causes (per month or some such time unit) versus heater-on hours. After a smattering of infant mortalities in the first 100-300 hours or so, the failure rate stayed very close to zero until approaching 15,000 hours. As I recall there was a large "bell shaped" hump between 15 and 20k hours. And presumably not many left after that.

The hump was presumed to encompass normal end-of-life, usually due to low emission, although the failure curve included all catastrophic failures due to broken filament welds, inter-element shorts/leaks, and so forth. Not many of the latter group at any time however.

Notable exception to all of the above, of course, was the 12-18 month 8877 production catastrophe that resulted from the ill-considered cathode support design "improvement" in the 1986-88 time frame. For about 12 months' production, the failure "curve" would have shown the usual few infant mortalities, a large spike between about 200 and 400 hours, and not very many left after that.

I think data on the 3CX800A7, which is of similar design but smaller, is quite similar.

73,       Dick   W0ID

(John Lyles had written the following in response to previous discussion of thoriated tungsten vs. oxide cathode power grid tube lifetimes):