[AMPS] Alpha 77 PS Parts

Mark Stennett na6m@hotmail.com
Sun, 12 Dec 1999 19:40:21 PST

I had to replace the step start and HV bleeder resistors in my Alpha 77
recently. The step starts had failed due to dirty connections on the
shorting relays and the first bleeder in the string had developed an open on
the HV side which would arc and glow when the rig was on. Finding suitable
replacements for the step start resistors was not difficult. Locating
suitable replacements for the bleeders however was a real challenge. Heads
up to the list - Clarostat has stopped making the 150K - 250K resistors in
the VP50K package. They told me that they have 30 on the shelf. When they
are gone to the next distributor, they will no longer stock them. My
research into suitable replacements leads me to believe that other
manufacturers of 50 watt/150K wire wound vitreous enamel resistors make them
larger than the original Clarostat components used in the Alpha which could
prove to be a challenge for mounting. Anyone here had similar experiences?

On another note - the Magnecraft HV contactor can still be acquired new from
Allied.

73 de NA6M