[AMPS] G2DAF and super cathode

measures measures@vcnet.com
Thu, 16 Dec 1999 20:04:57 -0700

>Before talking down the G2DAF circuit I may ask has anybody measured the
>distorsion  in it?

Yes.  In two units the total IMD was c. -22db below peak envelope power.
One DAF amplifier used 813s.  The other used 4CX250Bs.

> Where and when was this published?

It was published live on the 40m band whenever people were being
interfered with by a  DAF amplifier. .  I was the publisher.

>There is much about the G2DAF in Pat Hawkers TECHNICAL TOPICS SCRAPBOOK
>1990-94 and in other RSGB technical publications such as their older RADIO
>COMMUNICATION HANDBOOK. The  new 1999 edition is just send out - as soon as
>I receive my copy I will let you know more about it. RSGB = Radio Society of
>Great Britain.
>
>The super cathode version of the grounded grid has been discussed by W6SAI
>and WA6BAN in QST 7/67: SEMI and SUPER-CATHODE-DRIVEN AMPLIFIERS. The same
>authors analyzed the GG:  THE CATHODE DRIVEN LINEAR AMPLIFIER in the QST
>6/67. Very interesting basics.
>
>They gave an example of a 4CX300A with the grid tied to the cathode and
>screen grid tied to ground. The no signal grid voltage was of course = 0 and
>the no signal anode current = 15 mA. With 75
>watts of drive they got 375 watts out at -46 db 3rd order products. Screen
>voltage was 330 volts peak delivered by the driver.  They did not publish
>how
>much anode dissipation, but it should have been low. Small fan needed then?
>
>What is the practical use of such a low gain circuit? Well, in a single
>frequency linear amplifier, where the tune up of  many tuning circuits is no
>problem, you could use a number of cascaded super cathode stages for a real
>simple low distorsion linear. Very clumsy solution but the distorsion
>figures are impressing, are they not?

A super-cathode amplifier is great for driving a 3cx3000a7.  100w in
gives c. 400w out.

>I also remember also an old CQ article by a guy running a 4CX1000A as a
>super
>cathode linear.

The 30S-1 is a super cathode configuration.  .

>All electrodes had  normal DC voltages except maybe the
>screen grid voltage which had lower DC voltage because the rf cathode
>voltage added.

Good point.

>The grid was tied to the cathode with a couple of noninductice caps. As far
>as I remember the tube was run in AB1? .....

correct

cheers