SV: [AMPS] G2DAF and super cathode

Ian White, G3SEK G3SEK@ifwtech.demon.co.uk
Sun, 19 Dec 1999 22:26:30 +0000

sm5ki wrote:

>Dear Ian:
>
>I am just looking into the recent edition of PAT HAWKERS Technical Topics
>Scrapbook page 109 which is a reprint of the September 1991 issue of RSGBs
>RADIO COMMUNICATION in which G2DAF says the IMD of a single 813, as
>indicated on on-air reports, to be some 45 down in relation to the wanted
>voice sideband signal . Not very scientific and accurate but still an
>indication the DAF can not be as bad as reported on this reflector. There is
>more on the DAF on page 225 a reprint from the September 1993 issue.
>
>45 dB refered to what . Pep? There must be some accurate spec analyzer
>measurments made in the past. Ian, you are near the RSGB  and are in the
>position to find out?

Something wrong with the dates there: G2DAF himself could not have said
those things in 1991 or 1993, because he died in the mid-1970s.

After the holidays, I will ask the RSGB librarian to check G2DAF's own
"Single Sideband" column which he wrote in the early 1960s. There are
also a few other leads to be followed-up.

                           http://www.ifwtech.demon.co.uk/g3sek