[AMPS] Imposture

John Nelson John_Nelson@compuserve.com
Mon, 20 Dec 1999 05:35:20 -0500

Message text written by measures

>"The sense of reality is characterized by a peculiarly sharp, quick
perceptiveness, extraordinarily immediate keenness and responsiveness,
>especially in the area or the imposture. The sense of reality is, however,
impaired."
> [Phyllis Greenacre: "The Impostor" Psychoanalytic Quarterly, 27:359 -

One of my favourite texts along the same lines is:

"Just as we may take flight into inner superiority in moments of fear, we
are, by the same token, prone to using authoritative, often technical,
languages -- like psychoanalysis -- in moments of awkwardness. Nothing
(other than sexuality) makes people more nervous than their claims to
knowledge. Special languages, like sexual techniques, are cover-ups"  [Adam
Philips, 'Terrors and Experts', Faber & Faber 1995]

Much of the UK hi-fi press demonstrates this principle rather well.

73 John
GW4FRX