[AMPS] Tuning a Pi-L tank circuit

measures measures@vcnet.com
Tue, 21 Dec 1999 15:34:39 -0700

>Hello all
>
>I'm constructing a new HF amp. which has 2 roller-coaster coils
>and 2 vacuum variables in a Pi-L configuration - in other words
>4 things to adjust every time I change band !
>I could have used a band-switch and tapped coils, but
>happened to have these (heavy-duty) variable components available,
>with turns-counting dials on each.
>
>I've suddenly realised that I won't know how to tune this new amp. up,
>once it's completed.

Make a graph of C1 vs. turns counter indication.  Calculate the number of
turns for a Q of 10 or so on each band and mark. Calculate the inductance
required for each band.  Measure L1 vs. turns counter reading.  Measure
L2 vs. turns counter reading.  Make a tuning chart for each band.  Record
C-load settings.   //   my Web site has some info and explaining on
what's needed.

>Help !

cheers, Chris