[AMPS] Plotting of Screen Voltage Variations

Colin Lamb k7fm@teleport.com
Thu, 23 Dec 1999 09:53:15 -0800

------=_NextPart_000_003E_01BF4D2B.88834520

I am presently assembling a test bench to perform "grid-shift"
transconductance testing according to standards set forth in the RCA
receiving tube manual.  I will be using a beam power tube and varying =
the
control grid and screen grid voltage simultaneously.  Results will be
announced and actual plots will be published.  Equipment set up will be =
set
forth so that doubters can conduct the same experiments.  After these =
tests
are conducted, dynamic testing will begin - although that involves many =
more
variables.

Basic as these tests might be, they will answer some of the questions =
that
lead us down the path of knowledge.

Assertions by Rich that to question his proclamations transforms one =
into a
"cultist" seems rather bizarre.  Whether or not one is a "cultist" has
nothing to do with facts.  I have read that N. Tesla had some strange
beliefs - which were generally not only not understood by the average
person, but were totally rejected by esteemed "experts".  In particular, =
T.
Edison rejected almost everything done by Tesla.  Yet, the outcome of
Tesla's questioning of Edison's generally accepted reasoning and =
statement
of facts, was a number of useful devices without which our world would =
be
markedly changed.

I do not know that the G2DAF design is good or bad, and I would not use =
it
on the air without testing, what I am objecting to is the thought =
process
and testing procedures of Rich.  They are flawed.  His assertions and
conclusions may be correct - but not for all the reasons stated.

It is true that there are a number of excellent designs for linear
amplifiers that can be copied, and it is also true that the amateur =
world
could get along fine if no G2DAF amplifiers are ever built again. But if =
faulty process of scientific investigation is used and accepted to =
reject
that amplifier design, then science will have taken a step backwards by
accepting a process that is flawed.  And, I do find it somewhat =
dishearting
to have a design from a respected tube engineer (G2DAF) rejected because =
it
is misunderstood and as a result of a flawed investigation.

As to the point of this discussion and conducting tests of the G2DAF =
design.
The same argument could be made about almost anything in life.  In =
college,
I used to run around in a circle for hours every day.  I wondered then =
why I
was doing it.  It was even worse in the rain and sleet which is common =
in
Oregon.  In a sense, I did not have enough sense to come in out of the =
rain.
Sometimes I felt good when I succeeded in competition, but I failed more
often.  Perhaps the best answer as to why this path is taken is simply =
that
I am now curious and satisfying curiosity makes me feel good (as long as =
it
is not high voltage).

Merry Christmas and Seasons Greetings to everyone.

Colin  K7FM

------=_NextPart_000_003E_01BF4D2B.88834520

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I am presently assembling a test bench =
to perform=20
"grid-shift"<BR>transconductance testing according to standards set =
forth in the=20
RCA<BR>receiving tube manual.&nbsp; I will be using a beam power tube =
and=20
varying the<BR>control grid and screen grid voltage =
simultaneously.&nbsp;=20
Results will be<BR>announced and actual plots will be published.&nbsp; =
Equipment=20
set up will be set<BR>forth so that doubters can conduct the same=20
experiments.&nbsp; After these tests<BR>are conducted, dynamic testing =
will=20
begin - although that involves many more<BR>variables.<BR><BR>Basic as =
these=20
tests might be, they will answer some of the questions that<BR>lead us =
down the=20
path of knowledge.<BR><BR>Assertions by Rich that to question his =
proclamations=20
transforms one into a<BR>"cultist" seems rather bizarre.&nbsp; Whether =
or not=20
one is a "cultist" has<BR>nothing to do with facts.&nbsp; I have read =
that N.=20
Tesla had some strange<BR>beliefs - which were generally not only not =
understood=20
by the average<BR>person, but were totally rejected by esteemed =
"experts".&nbsp;=20
In particular, T.<BR>Edison rejected almost everything done by =
Tesla.&nbsp; Yet,=20
the outcome of<BR>Tesla's questioning of Edison's generally accepted =
reasoning=20
and statement<BR>of facts, was a number of useful devices without which =
our=20
world would be<BR>markedly changed.<BR><BR>I do not know that the G2DAF =
design=20
is good or bad, and I would not use it<BR>on the air without testing, =
what I am=20
objecting to is the thought process<BR>and testing procedures of =
Rich.&nbsp;=20
They are flawed.&nbsp; His assertions and<BR>conclusions may be correct =
- but=20
not for all the reasons stated.<BR><BR>It is true that there are a =
number of=20
excellent designs for linear<BR>amplifiers that can be copied, and it is =
also=20
true that the amateur world<BR>could get along fine if no G2DAF =
amplifiers are=20
ever built again. But if a<BR>faulty process of scientific investigation =
is used=20
and accepted to reject<BR>that amplifier design, then science will have =
taken a=20
step backwards by<BR>accepting a process that is flawed.&nbsp; And, I do =
find it=20
somewhat dishearting<BR>to have a design from a respected tube engineer =
(G2DAF)=20
rejected because it<BR>is misunderstood and as a result of a flawed=20
investigation.<BR><BR>As to the point of this discussion and conducting =
tests of=20
the G2DAF design.<BR>The same argument could be made about almost =
anything in=20
life.&nbsp; In college,<BR>I used to run around in a circle for hours =
every=20
day.&nbsp; I wondered then why I<BR>was doing it.&nbsp; It was even =
worse in the=20
rain and sleet which is common in<BR>Oregon.&nbsp; In a sense, I did not =
have=20
enough sense to come in out of the rain.<BR>Sometimes I felt good when I =

succeeded in competition, but I failed more<BR>often.&nbsp; Perhaps the =
best=20
answer as to why this path is taken is simply that<BR>I am now curious =
and=20
satisfying curiosity makes me feel good (as long as it<BR>is not high=20
voltage).<BR><BR>Merry Christmas and Seasons Greetings to=20
everyone.<BR><BR>Colin&nbsp; K7FM<BR></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_003E_01BF4D2B.88834520--