SV: SV: [AMPS] daf on-air amplifier testing

Bob Duckworth wb4mnf@atl.org
Mon, 27 Dec 1999 12:08:38 -0000

Inexperienced amp builder has some questions.

What are design goals of this DAF amp? I tried
web site but my DNS says no such name.

Does this DAF amp employ any feedback?
How much?
What class does it run for SSB? A? AB? B?

Amps in general.

What's are the differences between the screen having a
constant potential over a period that is long relative
to the modulation period and the screen staying at
a constant potential the entire time the amp is 'keyed'
and the screen staying at a constant potential the
entire time the amp is powered on? Or, maybe the
broader question. What difference does it make if
everything changes over a period that is long relative to
the modulation, so long as HiFi is maintained in the
window.

Difference meaning, does it make any significant (X db
where X matters) difference to the fidelity.

And this grid current stuff. What's it matter if there is
some grid current if there is enough feedback? What's
reasonable feedback and grid current for a tube
based amp? Why not sample the output of a SSB
amp like my friend does with his AM TX and use the
difference between input and output  to improve fidelity?

Why don't folks wire a relay into the PTT or VOX and
rebias the amp so that it is idling with little or no plate current
until it's time to yak?  If I can OOK the amp at CW speeds,
shouldn't I be able to OOK it with the PTT or VOX (introducing
some small delay prior to excitation)?

-bob
wb4mnf