[AMPS] daf amplifier circuit

Lamb k7fm@teleport.com
Fri, 31 Dec 1999 07:02:30 -0800

The argument that "if it was a great circuit, all of the amplifier companies
would be using it" is not a satisfactory answer.  The Wright canard style
aircraft has much to offer over a standard aircraft design - including stall
characteristics.  Yet they are  not sold commercially - mainly because they
are different.  The Tucker automobile did not sell well, mainly because of
fear raised by others.

The DAF circuit is certainly not for everyone.  Like any other amplifier, it
can be operated under conditions that splatter.  It may require more care
and understanding on the part of the operator and it probably is limited to
certain tubes.

It seems that a number of operators in Sweden have built them and are using
them daily on the air.  That these operators still support the design is
strong evidence that the amplifier must not splatter in actual operation.
If they splattered as badly as a few said, these Swedes would not be talking
to each other - and there would be a group waiting in line to tell the
entire world "the truth".

More testing should be presented, but I expect that no amount of evidence
will convince certain doubters.

I have the same problem when I tell amateurs that the final stage of one of
my homebuilt transmitters is a 5U4.  Some guys tell me it cannot be done.
Yet it works well and the radiated signal does not care.  Sometimes doing
things differently is not all bad -  although it does sometimes become more
than a little amusing when someone interrupts you doing something by
breaking in and telling you it cannot be done.

Best Y2K,  Colin  K7FM