[AMPS] daf amplifier circuit

measures measures@vcnet.com
Fri, 31 Dec 1999 09:07:03 -0700

>The argument that "if it was a great circuit, all of the amplifier companies
>would be using it" is not a satisfactory answer.  The Wright canard style
>aircraft has much to offer over a standard aircraft design - including stall
>characteristics.  Yet they are  not sold commercially - mainly because they
>are different.  The Tucker automobile did not sell well, mainly because of
>fear raised by others.
>
>The DAF circuit is certainly not for everyone.  Like any other amplifier, it
>can be operated under conditions that splatter.  It may require more care
>and understanding on the part of the operator and it probably is limited to
>certain tubes.
>
>It seems that a number of operators in Sweden have built them and are using
>them daily on the air.  That these operators still support the design is
>strong evidence that the amplifier must not splatter in actual operation.

€  There has never been an amplifier that did not splatter in actual
operation.  The question is how much?

>If they splattered as badly as a few said, these Swedes would not be talking
>to each other - and there would be a group waiting in line to tell the
>entire world "the truth".

€  the writing is on the wall.

>More testing should be presented, but I expect that no amount of evidence
>will convince certain doubters.

€  the 3/2 power law is too well established.

>I have the same problem when I tell amateurs that the final stage of one of
>my homebuilt transmitters is a 5U4.  Some guys tell me it cannot be done.
>Yet it works well and the radiated signal does not care.  Sometimes doing
>things differently is not all bad -  although it does sometimes become more
>than a little amusing when someone interrupts you doing something by
>breaking in and telling you it cannot be done.

€  The DAF amplifier Can be done.  Total distortion is roughly 1%.
According to FCC rules, this is perfectly legal as long as one stays
roughly 25KHz away from amateur service band edges.  //  When measuring
distortion, Rich does not break in and make a statement about any
amplifier configuration.  .  Instead, I ask the (scatological) operator
if he would like to know what his distortion level measures at my
location.  If he says no, I go.

cheers