[AMPS] Re: Knock a 3-550-Z short loose...

Roy Koeppe royanjoy@ncn.net
Fri, 31 Dec 1999 13:07:02 -0600

About,

"I've got the source of much trouble here in my hand... a 3-500z with a
cathode to grid short.  Anyone care to suggest a method to possibly open
the short. I won't trust the tube in an amplifier again, except maybe a
construction place holder."

Yes,

I have heard you can blast out the short by connecting fil to grid
momentarily to a car battery. Or, better still, momentarily in series
with say, a small heating element like a 1 KW toaster and the 120 VAC
power line. Wear goggles just in case.

Especially for non-critical use like CW, the small hole in the grid
won't hurt linearity much.

Please let us know results!

73,       Roy        K6XK