[AMPS] MFJ-259 and matching circuits

Michael Tope W4EF@pacbell.net
Wed, 3 Feb 1999 11:31:48 -0000

Rich and Jon,

Would it not be possible to tune the circuit for min VSWR
using the exciters VSWR meter, as Rich suggested (real
world operating conditions), then turn off the amp, terminate
its input port in 50 ohms and measure the impedance of the filter
looking back from the cathode with the MFJ-259B (cathode disconnected
of course)? This impedance should be approximately equal to the
complex conjugate of the large signal cathode impedance. It
would be interesting to see if this number comes close to Jon's
estimate of 110 ohms -j (2*pi*f*27pf)^-1.

73 de Mike W4EF

P.S. Somebody smarter than I could probably figure the error
bars for the impedance based upon the VSWR at the amplifier
input.