[AMPS] Eimac 4CX600J comments?

Radio WC6W wc6w@juno.com
Mon, 08 Feb 1999 19:19:41 EST

On Sun, 07 Feb 1999 19:56:37 Scott Townley <nx7u@primenet.com> writes:

>I was just browsing thru my Eimac catalog and noticed the
>4CX600J...designed for AB1 service, low IMD specs, reasonable PS
>requirements, could use the ubiquitous 4X150/4CX250 sockets...
>I'm curious why I've not seen these in use in amateur equipment.
>Seems a pair of them would be preferred to a single 4CX1000A (total grid
diss.
>2W instead of 0W; plus 200W reserve plate diss.).  Is there a rap on
>these or are they "undiscovered"?
>Just curious...thanks in advance.
>------------

Hi Scott,
    I've always thought that they were kinda cute myself... ever since I
inherited a couple of them (actually the 4CX600JA's with the larger
radiator) but, they do have there own peculiarities.

   1.  The pinout/socket is NOT identical to the 4CX250's;  the center
pin & the pin that is always missing from the 250' sockets are for the
heater.   The cathode & grid are on two triangular arrangements of three
pins.

   2.  They do run at a much more favorable bias point so, with much less
dissipation they can output almost as much useful low distortion power as
a 4CX1500B.

   3.  They aren't much use above 30 MHz due to derating and the inferior
basing.

   4.  They are extraordinarily pricey (for their size / ratings) if
purchased new.   This is likely the reason for no amateur usage.  I did
discover that they are used as paperweights (and sold really cheap) in
the central Texas area; pulls from airborne radios

   5.  ...and finally, when did most hams give a hoot about IMD.  :-)

73,
  Marv  WC6W

*

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]