[AMPS] PI-L network inductor wire sizes

JWebs3939@aol.com JWebs3939@aol.com
Tue, 9 Feb 1999 15:55:48 EST

  In a PI-L output network, is the RF current the same or different in the PI
inductor (L1) and the L inductor (L2) ?
    On the one hand, it would seem that the currents would be the same since
the inductors are in series. However on the other hand, since the network is a
stepdown impedance transformer, it would seem that the current in L2 would be
greater than in L1 due to the transformer action.
    In most of the amp designs that I have seen, the 10 meter portion of L1
typically is 1/4" tubing and the 10 meter portion of L2 is #12 gauge wire.
     If the current is the same or greater in L2, why shouldn't the conductor
of L2 be at least as large or larger than that of L1 ?
     Thanks to anyone who can clear this up for me.
  73       Don     K9MUF