[AMPS] Stability Question

km1h@juno.com km1h@juno.com
Wed, 10 Feb 1999 00:39:44 -0500

On Tue, 9 Feb 1999 20:08:54 -0600 Jon Ogden <jono@enteract.com> writes:

 SNIP

>>Depending upon the tank coil spacing a steel lid may offer
>sufficient
>>detuning effect without absorbing too much good RF.
>>
>>Bottom line...I think you should concentrate on improving the 10M
>>efficiency while watching for instability with other tubes.
>
>Well, I would agree with you here, Carl.  After the recent discussions
>on
>the B&W tank coil and position of tune input circuitry, I am putting
>all
>other stability issues on hold.  Looks like I am going to go through
>yet
>another reconstruction project with this thing.  This time to modify
>the
>B&W tank coil and also to change the position of my input circuits.
>Only
>question on the coil is how to add significant inductance on 80m
>easily.

Start on 10 and work down since any change to the 10M L has affects on
decending bands.
Dont worry about 80 for now, I've never had problems down there with the
850 as-is.

>BTW, how much do you want for a complete set of Arco trimmers and
>torroids?

Trimmers vary  roughly $2 to $6 ea depending upon capacity. All mix T-68
and T-80 toroids are $. 80 and $1.00 respectively.
I also have a large selection of 500V silver micas at .50 to $2.00 ea.
The trimmers alone can handle 100+ W but you're better off with a
combination of fixed and variable, makes tuning a lot less touchy.
L can be adjusted quite a bit by varying turns spacing so it is really
not a hassle to tune a toroid based network; it is more of a mental thing
than anything to get weaned off slug tuned coils...took me awhile to
adjust !!

At least you are not experimenting with a 8877 or a fragile tetrode!

73  Carl  KM1H

>C'est la vie!  Learn, learn and learn again..............
>
>73,
>
>Jon
>KE9NA

>Jon Ogden
>KE9NA
>
>http://www.qsl.net/ke9na    <--- CHECK IT OUT!  It's been
>updated!!!!!

>--

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]