[AMPS] CT filament secondary

John T. M. Lyles jtml@lanl.gov
Wed, 10 Feb 1999 18:08:50 -0700

Arden, Bill,
Adding a hum bucking circuit is plausable, it's done in some older
commercial b'dcast transmitters. But it must be tweaked for each tube,since
it is not exactly feedback, but a method of 'feedforward' noise correction.
I did it in a commercial product, had a small rheostat to control the hum
injection. It lowered AM noise of an FM rig from -48 to about -60 dB,
depending on the care to which it was set up.

I made a mistake last summer, when my filament pigs showed up for the 100
KW tetrode stages I built. No center tap - Argh! I scrambled to see if the
manufacturer could rewind the secondaries, but it was very costly. The turn
around for new iron from that company was on the order of 12 weeks at the
time, so I was stuck. Figured I could live with the hum modulation during
testing, and if I reversed the phase on one filament, the overall ripple
would cancel in the push pull output when they are combined in a balanced
load. But it meant each tetrode would have this AC modulation. I figured it
was as simple as taking the filament AC voltage, and superimposing that on
the grid conduction bias point, which was -120 VDC. It results in maybe 10%
AM worse
case. Its this 60 Hz component that is a pain, as it will ride on the
filament, end to end will have a potential difference. No matter what you
do with chokes and RF caps, to get the RF current to ground (that should be
close to the socket anyhow, not at the secondary), you have to deal with
the AC component of the heater voltage over the cathode current ground
return. One side of your transformer will be grounded to get the DC cathode
current back to the power supply.  Thats why center tap is needed on the
secondary of the transformer. Or you may be lucky and have a tube with a
center tap of the filament, but those were typically in receiving tubes.
You can also make up a resistor network to ground, and make a fake center
tap. It will dissipate power. I haven't calculated this, but the best way
is to bite the bullet and use the CT transformer to do this right. I did,
found another source of transformers, custom, in about 3 weeks delivery,
with < 1/2 the cost of the original ones. ($500 versus over
$1500/transformer). The tranformer has tapped 440/480 volt primary, 60 Hz.
So I have a pile of non centertapped 15 VAC, 300 Amp transformers, that are
useless except maybe to use for welding or charging batteries - 440 VAC
primaries make them obsolete for home use!

73

John
K5PRO