[AMPS] Another angle on cathode-matching ckts

km1h@juno.com km1h@juno.com
Sat, 13 Feb 1999 13:01:47 -0500

On Fri, 12 Feb 1999 18:09:12 Scott Townley <nx7u@primenet.com> writes:

>I've followed the thread on cathode-driven input networks using
>toroids,
>and the general advise that coax between the "tank" and tube filaments
>is a
>bad thing.
>Although I have not seen a great many amps in my day, the few I have
>always
>"pigtail" the coax runs...no connectorization inside the amp at all.
>It
>would seem to me (and I've measured it as well) that the shield
>"pigtail"
>is poison to achieving good input matches at 21 MHz and above.
>Obviously
>the introduced inductance would be that much worse at 3rd and 5th
>harmonic.

I wonder if the harmonic content has any measurable effect.
A modern xcvr has >40 dB harmonic attenuation. A good LP filter has 70+
dB attenuation at the 3rd harmonic. So to paraphrase  " Where's the beef?
"

I dont know about others but I run a good LP filter between the rig and
the amp as well as one at the amp output.  I have had no problem with
efficiency on 10M or any other band with an LK-500, LK-780, PT-2500A or
any other amp with long RG-58 runs to the tube.

Might the problem in certain amps be unbalanced currents on the outside
of the coax shield?  Perhaps a ferrite sleeve balun might offer an
improvement.

Are there specific amp models that are more prone than others?

73  Carl  KM1H

>My question:  is it really the coax itself that causes such pain in
>the
>input, or is it the lack of proper coax termination?  Would using
>quality
>bulkhead/panel fittings allow for remoting the input network the
>traditional 6-12" from the tube filaments?
>Just curious...
>------------
>Scott Townley
>nx7u@primenet.com
>Gilbert, AZ
>Collector of:
>	Stoddard Aircraft EMI/RFI receivers and accessories
>	Big Parts for that Big Linear Amp
>	70's era RF test equipment HP/GR/Tek
>	Radio-related technical reference material 1940+
>	http://www.primenet.com/~nx7u (someday might have useful
>info!)
>
>--

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]