[AMPS] Amplifier for CW

Roy Koeppe royanjoy@ncn.net
Sat, 13 Feb 1999 17:28:41 -0600

Hi Vic,

I see you're displaced too. I'm from Tulare, just down the road.  Here I
can't find my mike either. Two amps here operate with just a trickle of
idling current, about 10 ma. Have true pi-net inputs on cathodes, grounded
grids. One amp uses a pair of 3-500Zs with 3 kv on plates. I find operating
between class B and AB-2 is a good compromise for efficiency, drive
requirement, maintaining wave shape, etc. The input pi-net adjusts better
with some idling current.

I leave the amp pulled up in "XMIT" at all times and switch the antenna with
PIN diodes for silent  QSK. The other amp uses 572Bs and has similiar bias
class, but also has an auto-bias circuit which cuts off all plate current
during key-up.

Just some thoughts; 73,

Roy   K6XK   Iowa    outback

Roy and Joy Koeppe