[AMPS] SB220 Xformer labodomy

Len Schaier lschaier@avotec.com
Thu, 18 Feb 1999 16:56:47 -0500

I have a very noisy SB220 power transformer that sounds like a bad
florescent ballast. Other than being noisy, the amp works fine. I've taken a
good look at the transfomer and noticed that the back surface of the
tranformer has been hacked off. It looks like someone was trying to make
more clearance between the transformer and the back plate of the amp but I
doubt that that is the reason for cutting the transformer. I removed the
back plate and pushed asside the paper insulator on the windings and noticed
that there is some grey tape ( looks suspicially like duck tape) wrapped
around the windings.

I'm tempted to just loosen the screws, paint the laminations with some
shellac and see if I can get rid of the noise.

Anybody ever hear of this kind of transformer surgery or why anybody would
do it?

Thanks in advance.

Len