[AMPS] What (modern) tube to use?

Joe Subich, W8IK/4 W8IK@ibm.net
Fri, 19 Feb 1999 10:34:02 -0500

> Henry has been using this tube in some of there amps since the mid 80's.
>
> 73 de Steve, NJ4F

Look carefully at Radiodan's Henry page ... the only desktop amplifier
capable of 160-10 meters using the 3CX1200A7 is only rated a 750 watts
DC (carrier).  That doesn't even put Henry in the serious catagory, in
my book.  Sure, there are the floor mounted 3K amplifiers but how many
shacks have room for two floor mounted amplifiers (assuming one is
contemplating 2 radio contest operations)?

In any case, the "contesting.com" amplifier poll lists Henry with less
than 10% of respondents ... fourth behind Alpha, Heath, Ameritron and
homebrew.  Unless Henry is using the 3CX1200A7 in their industrial and
medical RF systems (last I knew they were using the 8877 and 3CX3000),
they are not a player in generating a "demand" to justify long term
production of the tube (one of the original criteria of my question).

In any case, since the 3CX1200A7 does not seem to be as readily available
as some of the other tubes (multiple sources, reasonable prices, ISM
"pulls," etc.).

73,
   ... Joe Subich, W8IK/4  ex-AD8I
       <W8IK@IBM.NET>