[AMPS] HV Power Supply questions

Bob Marston k1ta@earthlink.net
Fri, 19 Feb 1999 14:54:25 -0800

Hi Rich

Thanks for the info on the capacitors. I've decided to cc a copy of this
exchange to the amps list to let everyone hang an ear. In terms of mounting
these caps like you said I'm not planning to use metal clamps. What I'm
looking to do is use 2 pieces of plexiglass. The top piece will be machined
out to accomodate the capacitors with the caps being secured to the buttom
with silicone. Then mounting the bottom pieces to the chassis view
conventional hardware.

Now for a couple of more questions.

1) On the return side of the HV line. Over the years I've seen many designs
that tie the B- straight to the chassis. Others have allowed it to float by
connecting it to a low value high wattage resistor which is then connected
to the chassis. I think it's purpose was for metering but I don't remember.
What's your take on this? Is this necessary or a good idea?

2) In the rectifier circuitry, I'm using a string of 1N5408s, years ago
convention required equalizing resistors and transient suppression caps
across each diode. I understand that equalizing resistors do more harm than
good and thus not employed. But I'm not clear about transient suppression
caps across each diode. Are these passe in the age of Transient Suppressors
used in the Primary of the transformer?

73s
Bob K1TA