[AMPS] YC-156

Bob Marston k1ta@earthlink.net
Sun, 21 Feb 1999 09:00:08 -0800

At 03:37 PM 2/21/99 -0800, Arne Gjerning wrote:

>Is this an EIMAC tube or RCA? Can not find this nubmber in EIMAC catalogs
>I have. Does it have descriptive number or EIA 4 digit number?

It's an Eimac

It's a cross between the 3CPX5000A7 and the 3CX15000A7. It's specs in most
regards are the same as the 5000. But its current curves ressemble the 15000.

As Terry(W6RU) has already stated it's a pretty easy tube to build around.
Medical Pulls are fairly cheap. N8RGR is the man to talk to if you want to
obtain an example.

The draw backs of this tube. The filament is of the Oxide Coated
Unipotential type. 15 Volts at 14 amps with a 6 Minute warmup time and no
one rebuilds them. Secondly they have a fairly high output capacitance
(36pf) So even though they have a max freq spec of 110Mhz your not going to
match them up with a pi-network on 10 Meters.

The complete specs for this tube are up on an FTP site setup by G8WRB. The
design of the tube is fairly old itself. 1968 is the date on the data sheet.

73s
Bob K1TA