[AMPS] RJ-1 relay

Rich Measures measures@vc.net
Sun, 4 Jul 1999 11:00:21 -0700

> When I was QSKing my Drake L-7, I measured the closure time of several
>RJ-1's I had on hand. Although the relays were rated at 8ms closure
>time, all of mine actuated in abt 2ms with 24 volts on the coil.

€  With 26v appled to the coil, I measure around 7mS.  The Kilovac HC-1
is around 6mS.  With a 120v current-limited source, either relay will
switch in about 1.8mS.

> I tried full break-in but didn't like all the noise popping in between
>code characters.

€  I turn down the RF Gain on the RX to eliminate extraneous noise as
well as QRPP miscreants who want to break in and preach a ten min. sermon
on the vile and disgusting evil of running more than a watt or so.  .

> I set the VOX delay to where it stays on between dots
>but opens between words. Virtually as good as full break-in and saves
>a lot of wear and tear on the relays!

-  cheers, Roger

Rich...