[AMPS] In Search Of: The Nearly Perfect T-R Switch

Jon Ogden jono@enteract.com
Mon, 5 Jul 1999 19:08:32 -0500

>In the mid '80's, an outfit called Design Electronics Ohio, out of
>Groveport emerged with
>a product called the QSK-1500.( Does anyone know what happened to these
>folks?)
>In 1985, a fellow by the name of Phil Pesavento developed the QSK-3000,
>using the
>new Macom 4P902-985 PIN diodes. These diodes were apparently very robust,
>as the
>technical manual describes that they are installed on the board with
>wrenches! (Has anyone
>ever heard of Macom, especially where to purchase these diodes?)

Phil,

M/A-Com is still very much around.  They are in Burlington, MA.  They
were bought by AMP about 4 years ago and just recently, AMP was purchased
by Tyco.

M/A-Com is one of the premier RF semiconductor companies today (and one
of my chief competitors).  They specialize in MMIC switches and diodes.
The series you speak of is in a stud mount package but is very expensive
mainly due to the cost and size of the semiconductor die.

You may try purchasing some diodes either through Richardson or Avnet.
Both carry M/A-Com products.  However, M/A-Com is getting out of the big
PIN business from what I hear.  Micro-Semi (the old Unitrode) is about
the only one left.  Not much demand for them today.

I'd suggest some from Alpha Industries (no connection to the amplifier
co.) who I sell for, but we don't sell big PINs anymore.

73,

Jon
KE9NA

Jon Ogden