[AMPS] Re: PS diode equalizing

Peter Chadwick Peter_Chadwick@mitel.com
Tue, 6 Jul 1999 08:53:53 +0100

Rich says:

>?  In days of yore, folks commonly used 1w-rated resistors for equalizing
>1000piv diodes.

This whole business of overrunning resistors on voltage rating has appeared
before, on equalising voltages on series strings of electrolytics. I guess
Rich (and he isn't the only one) has made the point that it's just bad
practice, and it doesn't matter if it's a resistor across a diode or across
an electrolytic, or whatever, it's still asking for trouble.

> The max. rated potential for a 1w resistor is typically 350v.

You can get 500 volt rated ones  -  I think from Philips. Not common,
though.

73

Peter G3RZP