[AMPS] FS: 1½ Amplifiers 8170, 8171, 450TH's

Radio WC6W wc6w@juno.com
Thu, 08 Jul 1999 12:35:03 EDT

Hi,
   These 2 "units" are from a friends estate and may be of interest to
someone on the group.  I would prefer to sell them as a package but, will
consider offers on subsets of the list if I can see the light at the end
of the tunnel regarding the majority of the parts without me having to do
too much disassembly!   Likely, many will want the SK-306 so, please
don't ask for that part by itself!!

***************************  The ½ Linear

   There is a large linear that was under construction.  It.is just sort
of started.  Socket mounted, air system complete, nothing much wired.

   The valuable parts are:

	 A  4CX5000A (the best of 4 which he owned at one point)
	 A  4CX10000D (used)
 	 An Eimac SK-300 socket, fairly good used condition (only a
couple of the contact fingers are broken),
	SK-306 & SK-1306 chimneys (one for each tube)

	A Johnson 200-205 ribbon coil -- 15 uh looks fairly new
	There are two new Groth turn count dials on the front panel but,
the knobs for these dials which I think I saw laying around a couple
months ago, are no longer in sight and may or may not turn up.

	A new looking filament transformer marked 7.5 V 100 Amps.
	A older 8" or so cube with some diode strings on top that I
suspect are for the screen.   There is also a string of six 200V 50W
zeners with heatsinks mounted to the side of the cabinet, obviously for
the screen.

	A choke for the screen supply.    And two or three more small
transformers that may be for control or grid bias.

      The air system has a plexiglass plenum and an apparently new dual
squirrel cage fan.  The fan is just hooked up with test leads.... There
is a commercial manometer with its tube attached to the plenum but the
manometer itself is not mounted to anything.

   The cabinet is a gray 24" panel size rack type.  There is a panel for
the front of the amp and a latch released door for the back.  There are
no panels in the front below the shelf where the tube socket is mounted..
 The cabinet is 44"H x 27"W x 24"D overall.  It has a few scratches and
blemishes as it has been rolling (on casters) around in the garage for
years.  It probably weighs about 150 lbs. with the above described parts.

   There is no part of a plate supply evident...

*****************************  The operating Linear
**************************************

  Dick, the silent key, acquired a commercial (AM?) transmitter a long
time ago and built and rebuilt his own "daily use" amplifier in this
case.   It is currently configured with a pair of 450TH's (plus 2
spares),  in grounded grid.  He used to drive it with a Heathkit SB-220 &
I believe it runs about 4 KW SSB.  He ran this thing for YEARS!  so at
least it is reliable.  :-)

  The nicest part is that it has:

        Good coils switched by a very nice homebrew bandswitch.
Vacuum variables (300pf@10KV?  and 1000pf@3KV? -- I am unsure of the
voltage ratings, they may be higher),  These are driven by Groth turn
count dials with knobs.

         Real input tuning
             and a (original, I presume) commercial meter bridge with 7
meters across the top.

  The Power Supply components.

        A 240 volt variac (about 1 foot in diameter) rated perhaps 50?
amps

        The transformer is some kind of fairly modern (mid '70's
vintage?) monster.  Rumor has it that it was originally made for a shaker
table amplifier.  The U-I laminations (which are most of the thing) on
the plate transformer measure overall 18 x 11 x 6.   I would estimate
that it weighs at least 300 pounds.  It is likely at least 10KW CCS
rated.   It is open frame with some eyes at the corners for the crane to
hook up to... :-)

       The diode bridge is comprised of a zillion low voltage diodes in a
fairly cute plexiglass housing.

       There is an 8H, 1A choke marked (made by? for??) Collins

        a whole bunch of 1uf 5KV caps (12?) wired in parallel
plus six 54 uf, 2500V continuous DC rated (they are actually laser caps)
wired in series parallel (36 uf / 7.5 KV effective).   Note: One modern
capacitor would be physically smaller than one of the laser
caps and be rated higher than all these put together!

        There are some odds & ends like a giant power contactor, main
circuit breaker,  and of course the rest of the stuff to make the 450TH's
go.

 The bad part is that the cabinet is navy gray, about 7' hi, about 3'
wide, and 2½' deep and the whole thing likely weighs 700lbs....

 I would like to sell both of these units together for $1500.  The
variac, power transformer, vacuum variables and some of the other
components from the 450TL piece would go along way toward completing the
other amp.  You could just toss the big cabinet on the way out of town...
but, please don't let the widow who helped repaint the thing 30 years ago
see you do it!

  I am afraid that this linear does not easily lend itself to shipping
which would certainly have to be by truck freight.   A lot of the parts
would have to be removed and packed separately.  The big transformer for
instance is not bolted down and would have to be palletized.  If you are
far away, perhaps you have some friends in Los Angeles you could impose
upon.   :-)

All of the above plus shipping if necessary, naturally! :-)

Contact:   Marv,  WC6W, 310 649 3111 (reasonable hours Pacific
Time please) or via: WC6W@Juno.com

*