[AMPS] AL1500 help needed!

Fernando Martin taloshuevos@yahoo.com
Sun, 11 Jul 1999 02:46:45 -0700 (PDT)

I just got a used AL1500 for testing before a posible
purchase. The amp was bought in 96 in the USA and,
according to the seller, has been used only for a
couple of hours.

After making the necessary conections I find out that
something is wrong. I follow the procedure in the
manual for cw tunning  but things don't go as they
should (I don't get beyod basic manual procedures
cause I know nothing about amps):
1. HV on standby reads about 3750 volts (manual says
absolutely no more than 3700)
2. when I key the exciter (no drive) the plate current
on the 10000mA scale remains flat- manual says should
read 75mA. When doing the same but on the SSB position
the same thing happens (manual says plate current
sohuld read 250mA).
3. whatever drive I apply, the grid current remains
flat.
4. The SWR when I turn the switch from standby to OPR
goes from 1:1 to abour 3:1. I don't use any antenna
tuner (I don't need it). This seems odd to me.
Of course, after seeing these things happening I
rechecked everything (cables, conections, switches,
etc.) but found nothing that could explain this. Fan
works, the 3 minute delay for the plate meter to light
works, etc.

The amp looks clean both outside and inside.

Any ideas why this might be happening?
The amp has a great price so I would like to give it a
final chance before returning it. Thanks in advance.
Ciao,

Fernando

===