[AMPS] DAF Amp

Tom Rauch W8JI@contesting.com
Tue, 13 Jul 1999 13:06:49 -0400

Hi Marv,

> Please let me make it clear that I am NOT an advocate of the DAF
> amplifier.

I never expected you, being so knowledgeable, would be in favor of
a sloppily designed circuit.

The DAF circuit is about the poorest "engineering" thing I've ever
seen, short of lifting the grid of an AB2 triode for RF to add
uncontrolled (errrr negative) feedback.

Why would anyone think shunting the exciter power unevenly
during the RF cycle, especially during voice peaks, is a good idea?

Or why would anyone expect the varying voltage with phase lag
caused by energy storage in the filtering system of that rectified
voltage to be a "good thing"?

There is little reason to give IMD specs on a circuit that is largely
unrepeatable and unreliable in IMD performance. There are many
reasons to advise people to avoid using it.

73, Tom W8JI
w8ji@contesting.com