[AMPS] Impedance of amplifiers

Michael Tope W4EF@pacbell.net
Sun, 18 Jul 1999 02:03:54 +0100

Rich, et al:

Not knowing anything about this, I would guess that
a first approximation would be to take the output power
of the amp in watts and then work backwards thru the pi
network using simple linear circuit analysis to calculate
the input current phasor. Since all this current has to
flow thru the blocking cap, you get your "first order"
answer from this. Of course, this ignores any circulating
currents due to harmonics which may be significant as the
PI network should look like a decreasingly low impedance
as the harmonic number increases (viz. the shunt tuning cap).

73 de Mike, W4EF......

"I am not an amp builder, but I play one on the internet."