[AMPS] 572b's as a robust oscillator AHHHHHHHolla Ceeeee

Tom Rauch W8JI@contesting.com
Sat, 24 Jul 1999 22:07:18 -0400

Hi Jerry,

Yes, you certainly do need bifocals.

> >But I can tell you that 8000pf and it shunted by a .1µh inductor then
> >placed across the input to ground works on 160m. Fair enough for tube
> >type exciters pushing a pair of these on 160m. I'd say scale it to
> 50mhz.
> >Oughta be close.

As I said, scaling won't work. You assume, quite incorrectly, the
tube provides the same input impedance on six as it does on 160.
Not a chance.

The 8000 pF you used is 11 ohms on 160. If we place that in
parallel with the correct inductor, the Q is somewhere around 10 on
160. There must be some specific reason you selected a Q of ten,
I wonder what it was?

> Tom if your going to  quote me make it complete.  AGAIN I SUGGESTED ONE TO
> SCALE THESE VALUES. Bifocals stink huh |-)?

OK, then me repeat it and maybe you will understand what I wrote.

The lead lengths and stray capacitances, as well as the much
different grid impedance, will certainly change the input impedance
of the tube a lot on six meters. There would be a snowballs chance
in hell the values that worked on 160 would work on six, when
scaled to six meters.

Is that clearer?

> 73,    Jerry                                     krr2ak@juno.com
> [text|uuencode|59kb ea]
>         'Our people are warriors,  often savage, but we are also many
> other pleasant     things'

> --

73, Tom W8JI
w8ji@contesting.com