[AMPS] Good Meter vs CRT was Hot wire....

Rich Measures measures@vc.net
Wed, 28 Jul 1999 12:52:29 -0700

>This brings up a question that I have. When the FCC inspects
>a station, how is the question of drive power handled?

Drive power does not matter.

>Many
>commercially available amplifiers will run more the 1500 watts
>output if they are driven hard enough. What if I have a
>homebrew 3CX3000? How can they prove that I run it harder
>then legal limit without doing field strength measurements
>when I am not looking?

Before the FCC knocks on your door, they leave an observor with a field
strength meter, binoculars, and a handheld within sight of your antenna.
The observor notes the position of the antenna, measures the peak signal,
and informs the rest of the FCC crew.  They ring the doorbell.  The power
measurement is made.  There is no way to evade.

>If they are there in the shack with you, seems that it would
>just be a question of meter calibration [O-scope if you prefer].
>IOW, my version of 1500 watts versus their's.

The FCC is knowledgeable of the difficulty in measuring PEP, which is why
they are unlikely to write you up unless you are way over the limit.

In all my years on the 40m Combat Zone, I was never inspected by the FCC.
 My guess is that they realized that I used the tetrode with handles amp.
as a defense against jammers.   The bottom line is that I was not using
more power than was needed to communicate, even though I sometimes had to
listen on the telephone.   .

-  cheers, Mike

Rich...