[AMPS] In diodes we trust

Rich Measures measures@vc.net
Thu, 29 Jul 1999 07:30:07 -0700

>Hi Peter,
>
>By the way, I pulled the WEB page up and looked at the national
>standards for measuring RF power and like the e-mail said, it rules
>out using a scope.

€  Call for references.  This has the ring of the R+D manager thing.  .

>Now it took about 2 weeks and a hundred posts to sort through all
>the allegations and nonsense just to find out what anyone who is
>involved in measurements already knows, no one uses a scope
>except when they can't use anything else.

€  If P does not vary for a minute or so, the choices are
bomb-calorimeter and calibrated oscilloscope to measure the potential
across the termination R.   If P is transitory, eliminate
bomb-calorimeter.

>During FDA measurements here of pulsed medical RF devices, I
>had to use a calibrated Bird 4391 meter.

€  how is this instrument calibrated?.

>Now let's see if we can sort through the rectifier thing in an equally
>professional manner.
>
>> >After that time, all the diodes will return to their blocking state
>> >and will share the reverse voltage...
>
>It appears Peter and I have the same question. What mechanism
>is it that causes this "shared reverse voltage"? My concern is
>some of the statements made in the Motorola Rectifier and Diode
>Handbook that seem to conflict with the idea the diodes won't
>suffer increased failure if voltage doesn't happen to divide equally.
>
>So maybe someone can explain, hopefully in a nice sane way, why
>the voltage divides equally.

€  The potential does not necessarily divide equally.  It divides
according to the avalanche-voltages.

-  later, Tom

Rich...