[AMPS] explain this one

Tom Rauch W8JI@contesting.com
Sat, 31 Jul 1999 05:18:46 -0400

Hi Alek,

> When I tune up on 10m, I get arcing on the 160m position on the bandswitch
> to the frame of the switch. This position switches in the 160m padding
> capacitor. Nothing in the 160m circuit is connected when it's on 10m. The
> tubes also get extra warm in the 10m position.

What you have is high voltages appearing because of a poor
switching scheme or wiring error.

I'd wager if you look, you simply have not tied the tank coil taps
that aren't being used to the loading cap and the unused turns are
acting like a step-up transformer.

> I was thinking of getting one of the AG6K suppressor kits to see if that
> changed things. I probably will anyway, just for insurance.

I hang a rabbit's foot and dead chicken claw on my amplifier's
electrical outlet. It is just as effective, costs less, and doesn't hurt
ten meter performance.

73, Tom W8JI
w8ji@contesting.com